So my sweet, darling, lovely boyfriend informs me last weekend that the date of his sister's wedding has changed to 3 weeks later than originally planned. Then he asks if it would be too much trouble to change my flight. Clearly he has never flown internationally or lived in a country where the Patriot act makes it reasonable to change the security level to orange if someone tries to make any changes to plane reservations. But I promised him I would try, knowing that it would be impossible if not at least cost-prohibitive. With a small miracle and hours of stressful phone calls, during which i was supposed to begetting actual work done, I was able to change my travel arrangements. I am able to keep the exact same plans just moved to 3 weeks later. And the fare actually went DOWN a whopping $.07 so I got a refund! woohoo! After successfully making the changes and informing my beloved of my new plans, i discovered that I had actually booked myself a 3 week vacation instead of 2! So after yet another panicked phone call and some little white lies, I was able to get the return date changed to the correct one so that I am now within the parameters of a "practical" vacation.
While I was sitting there on hold waiting to see if the airline was going to allow me to make the change without another penatly fee or a notify to the FBI, I started thinking about how quickly things happen that if they happen the other way could change our lives dramatically. For example, I had a few moments of stress while waiting for her answer and sighed relief and went back to my day when she said I could easily change my ticket but it could have just as easily gone the other way. That is a minor example but I think it comes down to gratitude for the little miracles in our lives. Being greatful that you just missed getting in that car accident or your doctor calling and saying the tests were normal or thinking that you have lost your wallet and instead finding it under your bed. Anyone of those things that cause us momentary worry or panic but then are easily forgotten when all is well are the same things that if they had gone the other way could have changed our lives forever, or at least been a giant pain in the ass. So this post is dedicated to gratitude for the millions of times when things go our way and disaster is averted, even if we don't know it is even happening.
"...gratitude for the millions of times when things go our way and disaster is averted, even if we don't know it is even happening."
ReplyDeleteOMG - this is beautiful. Thank you for that. I really needed to read that right now. I love how you flipped that situation. Now I need to go and do the same.